Saturday, July 10, 2010

ICE QUEEN


For the past 4 nights around 8:00 pm - I start to get cold - really cold - last night I slept in a thermal shirt, flannel pajamas and wool socks - What is wrong with the picture? I live in south Texas where it is currently hotter than a four-balled tom cat at midnight and I'm bundled up like It's January in Alaska.

I would like to blame this glitch in thermoregulation on my clear liquid diet and the lack of calories associated with it. Of course right now I'd like to blame everything from global warming to the war in Afghanistan on the clear liquid diet. But if there are any other suppositions out there as to why my internal thermometer is off please feel free to advise me.

Speaking of that damn diet again - I'm currently not doing well on that - because real hunger has finally set in - I mean real gut gnawing hunger. Yesterday I had a full protein drink and an entire can of cream of chicken soup - which I'm not supposed to get until next week. I'm trying to be good and stay on the clear liquids today but as I type this my stomach is beginning it's distress cry and I'm afraid I won't make it until dinner.

I haven't needed any pain meds for the past 2 days and am feeling much better on that front - I am very happy about this because I think those narcotics were making me very depressed. I definitely feel more myself now. and I actually had a real poop. So I am on the road to normalcy.

Yesterday I enjoyed a great day with my family - We went to see Eclipse and did some small shopping. And this morning I hauled my daughter an hour away to spend the weekend with a friend she made at camp this year. They have been E-mailing and phoning each other every day since they got back from camp - This morning when I dropped her off they were like 2 long lost sisters - hugging and screaming. Crazy girls. So I'll have to make that drive again tomorrow to pick her up.

Post op visit in 4 days. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. Well, It's hard to say what it may be but, You could be right that the less calories and carbs are causing you to be cold... but I can say that since I've been banded I have been sensitive to extreme temps, meaning air conditioning makes me freeze and without it It's ungodly hot. I put my sweater on, take it off, put it on, take it off... I am not sure why. I know that I only eat about 800 calories a day so that may be the cause as well but I say enjoy it for the summer at least. It is hot out there! and keep a sweater with you at all times. You're doing great! *Maria*

    ReplyDelete
  2. A calorie is actually a unit of heat even though we don't think of it that way (we hear unit of energy) so your theory is probably right. As your body burns calories it actually does produce heat. The less calories you consume the less your internal furnance has to process.

    I FROZE the first few weeks after surgery. This is coming from someone who typically keeps the house at 62 in the winter. I had the house over at least 10 degrees warmer and had several layers of blankets and clothes on. Once I upped my calories I was fine. I would get colder than I used to (due to the loss of fat), but nothing dramatic.

    ReplyDelete