Thursday, June 17, 2010

Countdown


Monday I had all my pre-op lab work done. Wow 2 hours for lab. I had to go to one place for my urine, blood and ekg and another place for blood gases and xrays. I have to tell ya I don't mind the blood work etc but the urine sample is always a nightmare. I am usually at that lab forever waiting to give a urine sample because I tend to get stage fright whenever they ask for a urine sample. So being the smart person that I am I decide on my hour long drive to the lab from my house I would chug 50 ounces of water - not to mention I drank 6 oz of juice with 2 tsps of sugar before I left the house because this cause a diuretic effect.
Well wouldn't you know when I got to the registration desk there were several people ahead of me and I am started to feel my very full bladder. Then when I finally reach the registration desk low and behold no-one can find my doctors orders so there is another 15 minute delay while they search before they can begin my registration - I am beginning to shift around in my chair every 2 minutes or so - with the clerk giving me the what's you're problem look. Finally I finish the registration process at which time I have to go to another office upstairs - when I get there the man at the desk gives me more paperwork to fill out - Yikes!! because by now I am doing the pee pee dance in front of his little glass window. I finally just said - "I know you need a urine sample and I would like to take care of that asap - so he let me go back and I am telling yall I could have given a urine sample for the next fifty people to come in. Hell I could have made a buck selling urine samples to people who needed drug screens.
After I finished up there I had to drive to the hospital where I am having my surgery for chest x-rays and blood gases. So now I just have 11 days until my pre-op visit with my doctor and 12 days until surgery I am very excited.
My doctor can still cancel my surgery if I don't pass my urine nicotine screen - so I am still a little worried. I shouldn't be - passing it shouldn't be an issue because I haven't smoke but I guess I am worried because it is the final obstacle to my surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment