Saturday, June 12, 2010

NO SMOKING

The toughest part of the journey so far has been that I have had to stop smoking.  I have been a smoker for 30 years -( Yikes!).  I did wean myself down from the nicotine with an electronic cigarette but I can't say that made it any easier when I got to the no nicotine stage.  I've not smoked now for 5 weeks and I can tell you that it has not yet become any easier.  Every day I have to fight the urge to pick up a cigarette.  There are days I feel like I am going to have to resort to becoming a heroin addict to fight the pain of nicotine loss. - ha ha.

I wonder why alcoholics get a sponsor - someone to call when they have the urge to drink who can support them.  I quess it's just as well because my sponsor would have already had to change their phone number.

Oh well, one day at a time I quess.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a smoker who has it set in stone to quit on Auguest 3rd, my 38th birthday. A present to myself. A gift of life. You can do it! I may need YOU to be MY sponsor! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. stephanie I hope I can keep it up - but I'm trying. My children were very happy for me to get lap band surgery because it meant that I would have to quit smoking (my doc does urine nicotine test - talk about trust issues) - I'll be there for you when you're ready. I don't know that I have any secrets to quitting. I'm pretty much just sweating it out

    ReplyDelete