Thursday, June 24, 2010

CURB YOUR ENTHUSIAISM

Exactly 7 more days until surgery - Everyone keeps asking me if I am excited. And I can't really say that I am. I'm trying to decide why that is.

I think partly because it doesn't seem real yet. I still have my final physician visit prior to surgery and she can still deny my surgery on the basis of two things. 1. I didn't pass my nicotine drug test, in which case she will definitely cancel surgery. I don't think this will be a problem because I have not smoked. Butttt - I am around my husband and mother who both smoke and I don't know if this will affect the test at all. The nurse let me know at the time of pre-op testing that the doc would cancel my surgery if my urine test wasn't negative - She said this 3 times - Which makes me wonder what she knows that I don't. 2. I have gained 4 lbs from goal weight for surgery since I have quit smoking. and I'm sure in part because I've thrown in a few last suppers. But when I started this process; the patient advocate let me know if I did not meet my goal weight of 211; I would not have surgery. Will my surgeon actually cancel my surgery for this weight gain? I don't know. She was the nicest person when I met here in the seminar for weight loss surgery; however, the one time I had to see her in the office at the beginning of this process, she was a Be-otch!!!

So I guess until I get past the hurtle of my final Dr visit and know I have the full go ahead, it won't seem real to me. Unfortunately, that is not until the day before my scheduled surgery.

Now to the question of those gained 4 pounds - Do I diet like crazy hoping to get them off? My friends who have had WLS say don't worry about it, your getting ready to have the surgery. Enjoy your last days. They assure me that I have been qualified by insurance - so I should enjoy my last few days. They both had different surgeons though.

Another reason I think I am not excited about the surgery is that it is hard to see myself being successful at this given my long line of diet failures. I still have an underlying fear that this will end up being just another failed attempt at weight loss for me.

So will I get enthusiast about my surgery - I don't know - but I am ready!

3 comments:

  1. I just started following you! I was banded 2 weeks ago. Just to add my 2 cents... I don't think "being around it" would come up positive for nicotine test. I do drug tests all of the time and that doesn't make it positive for any other drugs. Good Luck! I would just die if I was that close and there was a possibility of the rug being pulled out from under me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen, here in the UK we have to do a low calorie/low fat diet prior to our surgery in order to shrink the liver. It doesn't sound from what you've said as though this is something that you need to do for your surgery...I wouldn't worry too much about your 4lbs, I think it is a small amount of weight. I think they do get quite stern about some things prior to surgery to try and keep you on the straight and narrow, but I'd be pretty surprised if they denied you your surgery for the sake of 4 tiny little pounds. If it were me I'd probably try and have a low fat lowish calorie diet for the next week and then it will be more like one or two pounds...normal fluid fluctuations can do that! I wasn't even weighed on the day of my surgery...but again I was a private patient in a different country so that's not really relevant.

    Good luck for your surgery...it's probably a good thing that you're not too excited I think because it probably means less nerves for you on the day. I felt a bit like you do and I was surprised at how brave I was...also, hospitals are not a strange and unusual place for you so that should help. I look forward to following your journey and reading about all your experiences along the way.

    www.sparklersstory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. both of you have put my mind at ease - thanks so much

    ReplyDelete